Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Surgery?

March
Surgery?

I've learned that when I'm really scared, I'm kind of like a turtle.  I just want to keep to myself and I pull everything in.

After running the 10 mile run in March, I felt like things were "not right." I went to see my regular doctor and she said my pelvic organs were prolapsed.  But she said I could continue running.  I wanted to see what my ob/gyn had to say but couldn't get an appointment for five weeks!  So, for five weeks, every time I was scheduled to do a run, I was afraid to run and afraid not to run.  Not fun.

My ob/gyn confirmed that I was prolapsed and said I was a good candidate for a hysterectomy and repair to the the organs "down there."  However, she also said that I didn't have to have surgery.  It was just to relieve the symptoms.  And, she stated that I could run and confirmed that if I felt discomfort at mile 7, nothing would fall out before mile 13.1.  Ha!

It's strange.  I love the running.  I love pushing myself.  However, the worrying that I should not be running at age 60 is mentally challenging, to say the least.  Surgery seems like no big deal to the doctors.  It is a big deal to me.  I would rather not have surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment