Tuesday, March 18, 2014

10 Mile Run - Now I AM in Trouble with Coach!

March 15, 2014
10 Mile Run - Now I'm in Trouble with Coach!

So the question is this:  Why do I work with a coach if I'm not going to do what he says?!  I know how important it is to be coachable.  Why then, when my coach said to run for 1 hour and 45 minutes, did I run 2 hours and 50 minutes?

Why did I run so long?  I'm starting to feel no confidence about my ability to finish the half marathon in four weeks.  FOUR WEEKS!  I know that a lot of people train to 10 miles before doing a half.  I figured if I could do 10 miles, then I'd have tons of confidence going into the half marathon.  And, I really thought I could do it.  I was wrong.

The first six miles were fun (which was nice because that's a 10K).  Miles 7 and 8 were not fun.  Miles 9 and 10 were ridiculously painful.  My calves were screaming and I couldn't focus.  I could hear my Garmin watch alarming that my cadence was too low, I'd speed up for 10 seconds and then be slow again.  While running, I kept thinking, "Is this pain ok?"  I had just read an article by a person who said they had made peace with pain.  Was this the pain that I was supposed to become friends with - or was this pain that I should pay attention to and stop running?  How do you tell?

My coach is so nice.  However, I knew that he was not happy when he wrote, "Sue!!!!" with four explanation marks at the beginning of his email.  I felt so guilty!  And felt even more guilty when I read an article called, Eight Reasons Your Coach Hates You.  Doing extra mileage / workouts was number six! 

I did the next week's training exactly as written and did a LOT of thinking about why I did the 10 miles.  The reason what that I didn't have enough confidence in my training plan.  Everything that I had read said to increase the mileage by 10% each week.  We weren't doing that.  I didn't have the foggiest idea what we were doing.  It all just seemed chaotic to me.  So . . . I asked my coach if we could talk and I asked him to help me learn his training methodology.  He was terrific and took the time to share his thinking with me.  He said



No comments:

Post a Comment