Thursday, December 26, 2013

Turkey Trot - 5 mile - November 28, 2013


November 23, 2013
Turkey Trot - 5 miles

I ran this five-mile race with son prior to Thanksgiving dinner at my brother's house near Washington DC.  6,000 people registered for the race and we knew parking would be an issue so we took the metro (subway) from our hotel to the race. 

This was the first "fun race" I've done and it was certainly entertaining with folks dressed up like turkeys, reindeer and Santa Claus.  Lots of families running together.  I passed one little boy who was crying and heard his father say, "It's ok.  We knew we weren't going to win when we started.  We're just here for fun!"  At another point, eight tethered reindeer ran by me followed by Santa Claus who was at the reins! 

My goals for this race were 1) no walking, and 2) cadence of 90.  I've been listening to a metronome during my runs and somehow, it got set to 92.  I couldn't switch it back to 90 for some reason, so I ran at 92.  My pace ended up being 13:25.  With all the people I ran around, I figure I ran more than 5 miles so I'm pleased with my pace.

4,270 people ran the race.  While near the end, I came in before 614 of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment