Thursday, December 26, 2013

FIRST 10K !! -- YMCA Fall Running Classic


November 16, 2013
First 10K - YMCA Fall Running Classic

Today, as my long run, Coach had me do the 10K at the local YMCA where he works.  Two days ago, I checked last year's times.  Ugh.  Based on my times, I thought I'd finish 30 minutes behind the second-to-last person.  I almost chickened out.  When I picked up my bib yesterday, I asked the race organizer to present awards before I finished.

This morning was a disaster before the race.  I forgot to bring my Garmin watch and was in a panic.  Luckily, the race was close to home and my husband raced home to get it.  Lesson learned.  I need to have a pack list for running races just like I have for triathlons.

The other thing I learned is that one's first 10K should be a flat course.  The race I ran this morning was HILLY to say the least.  Some of the hills were HUGE.  My goal was to not walk and I ran the entire thing so I was happy.  There was a hill right at the beginning of the race which quickly separated all the runners.  I was last almost immediately.  But . . . as we went on, I could see one woman about a quarter mile ahead of me.  She was doing a run / walk.  Every time she ran, she would put more distance between us.  But every time she walked, I would catch up.  After a while, I found that I was catching her!  What a motivation that was!  I passed her while she was walking up a big hill -- and stayed in front of her for the rest of the race.  So . . . I was not last!  Woohoo!

So, now I've done a 10K.  One step closer to a half marathon.


No comments:

Post a Comment