Thursday, December 26, 2013

PERSONAL BEST! - Tree City Run 5K - Nov 23, 2013


November 23, 2013
Tree City Run 5K  

Wasn't planning to do a run so close to the 10K that I did last week, but with cold weather arriving, this seemed like the only race available for the next few weeks - and I wanted to get in one more 5K so I could try to break a 13:00 pace in a race before continuing to use my Saturdays for long runs. 

I decided to run the Tree City Run because it was sponsored and organized by the same people that sponsored the triathlon where they welcomed me in last place with fire truck sirens!  Sure enough, they remembered me.  Nice, nice people!

It was freezing this morning - around 20 degrees F with a wind.  There was ice on part of the course!  I ran in long sweats, a t-shirt a jacket, and gloves. 

It has become my habit to run a quarter mile before the race at race cadence - 90 steps per minute (spm).  As I warmed up, I noticed there was ice on part of the course.  Must be careful. 

The race started and as usual, I was quickly in last place. 

My goal for this race was to run at a 90 cadence for the entire race.  Once the race started, I was feeling really good and decided to incorporate intervals into the race -- one minute fast followed by five minutes at my regular pace.  That lasted for about 1 1/2 miles, then I started to get tired and figured I had better stop that fast running!  The last half mile was on a "gravel" path but the gravel was more like sand.  That part of the race was grueling.

Just like last week, I started catching people who couldn't keep up with the fast pace that they started.  I actually passed four people!  The last person I passed looked like she was a pretty decent runner and did no walking.  Slowly, slowly I kept catching her.  I just tried to keep my steady pace and see what happened.  At two miles, she stopped at a drink station.  I skipped the drink station and passed her.  Then, I was so afraid that she'd catch me now that she could see me, that I made sure I did not slow down! 

I set a new personal best pace (12:48) and finished in under 40 minutes for the first time (39:51).  I also finished first in my age group and received a first place medal!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment