Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I Am Maturing Again! Confidence

I Am Maturing Again!  Confidence
May 21, 2015
Today, I realized I have matured again as an athlete.  I’ve gone from a recreational triathlete, to a scared competitive triathlete, to a quietly confident triathlete.
When I became a competitive triathlete, I loved words to convince me that I could compete. I focused on words like beast, competitor, strong, and dominate to talk myself into being confident.  Those words made me feel tough.   

But today, there is a quiet confidence that is coming from within.  Today, I know I am tough.  Tougher than I was.  Not as tough as I am going to be.  But tough enough to be standing at the start line without wondering if I will make the distance, without needing a cheerleader to build me up, and without being scared.  I am standing tall, in a world by myself, looking across the water, focusing on the job to be done, shaking out my arms, taking a few deep breaths, and knowing that I am prepared.
It is not swag.  Swag is the outward appearance of confidence.  My confidence is quiet and internal.  It is knowing inside that I am strong and have prepared well.  

And really, when I’m at the start line, I have already won the race that I most want to win.  I have conquered my fears; I have prepared well.  I am ready.

P.S.  I wonder if I will still feel this way tomorrow.  LOL  :-)   

No comments:

Post a Comment