Monday, April 20, 2015

Cervelo P3 Tri Bike! Sweet!

New Tri Bike - Part 1:  Pre-Purchase Bike Fit (51 Speedshop)
April 15, 2015


NEW TRI BIKE!!
I finally have a tri bike! I decided to put some major bucks into a top-end bike. I have my brother to thank for that. He encouraged me to purchase a bike that I would enjoy for some time.

Cervelo P3 - Badass Bike!
Cervelo P3. I purchased a Cervelo P3 and I am in heaven! It's a sweet, sweet, sweet bike. The guy in the bike shop where I bought it described the bike as a "badass" bike. (I don't think he knew he was talking to a 60-year-old grandma). But "badass" is exactly how I feel when I'm riding that bike. My coach says that I am now a "badass grandma!" LOL

So why did I select the P3? Basically, I wanted a top-end bike that I could grow into that had 1) Ultegra components throughout, and 2) electronic shifting. I also did not want an integrated headset, breaks or hydration system. Yes, that would have made the bike more areo, but I didn't want to hassle of not being able to reach parts. Most important was getting a bike that fit me.
After I decided on the P3, I couldn't find one in my size! I literally called every Cervelo dealer in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky. It seems there was a shipping problem and all the P3's were stuck on boats off the California coast (or something like that). We had planned to drive to Florida for vacation so I started calling the Cervelo dealers along I-75 and finally found one in Atlanta at All 3 Multisports. The day we picked it up I was so excited, I could hardly stand it.
Rip, my bike fitter, asked me to let him cut the seat post so I wasn't able to ride it until after we got home from Florida. It was horrible to have that bike and not be able to ride it. When I took the bike to Rip, he fit the bike to the measurements that were now in his computer from our fitting and added Zipp wheels. Some had advised me that the 800 / 400 combination that I got might be too aggressive. But Rip said it would be ok, so I went with them.
My first ride was a 10 mile ride in 30 mph winds with gust to 40 mph. Needless to say, I was not in the aerobars! I kept telling myself that Rip said I would not be blown over in high winds. That was the day that I started talking to my bike. When I'd hear a gust of wind coming through the trees, I'd say outloud, "Ok Bike! Get ready!" And after the gust past and we were still upright, I'd say, "Good job, Bike!" My bike received the name Bike that day too. It's just what I started calling it and it felt right. I love my bike. We are a great team. Its funny how bikes take on personalities. My road bike (Cervelo S3) had a log of swag and was not happy that an old grandma was riding it - until I explained that he was much more likely to podium in my age group! Ha. The P3 is totally different. It is a patient and forgiving bike. I try hard to be worthy of it. My husband thinks I am nuts, but I know other riders will understand the relationship between rider and his/her bike.
The next day, I took the P3 out in less windy conditions and was able to get areo. Sweet, sweet, sweet. I loved laying out over that bike in the areobars. I loved powering it with my muscles. Oh my gosh! That thing is fast! Over the next three weeks, I rode it as much as possible and finally got comfortable going down hills and learned when to go in an out of areo. Tip: Do not ride areo when going fast over speed bumps! I loved the electronic shifting. Just a little "ping!" and you're in the next gear with the bike trimming the derailleur if needed. One afternoon, the battery died! A charge is supposed to last for about 6 months. All I can figure is that the bike shop didn't give it a full charge in the shop. Luckily, the front derailleur goes out first and I was able to hobble home using the little ring and the back derailleur. And then I rode Bike in the Carmel Sprint Triathlon. Fun, fun, fun!

I feel so fortunate to own such a fine machine. I like to think about all the engineers who designed the bike and my Zipp wheels. I imagine all the technical drawings and wind-tunnel tests. I think the engineers must have loved this bike. It is a beauty. Sometimes, people come up to me with bike envy. That makes me kind of proud, but also a little embarrassed because I know they are wondering what a 60-year-old grandma is doing on a Cervelo P3. I tell people that when your kids are gone and your mortgage is paid off, its time play!

So, so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment