Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Wetsuit!

Wetsuit!
June, 2014

Oh my gosh!

The race organizers sent everyone an email saying that the Lake Michigan water temperature was in the 50's and suggesting that everyone wear a wetsuit.  So a week before the race, I was scurrying around trying to find a wetsuit in a woman's plus size.  No go.  The tri shops stock plenty of men's plus size suits, but no womens.  Since I didn't have time to mess around with sizes, I ended up ordering six suits online from Team Estrogen (Nineteen) and Blue Seventy - and paying for overnight shipping.  Ugh. 

The first one that came was a Nineteen suit that shipped from Team Estrogen.  I had watched videos online about how to put on a wetsuit, but had no idea how tight it would actually be.  It took my husband and I forty-five minutes to get it on me!!  I felt like I was wearing a full body girdle - and could barely raise my arms.  There was no way I was swimming in a wetsuit if that was how they were supposed to fit.  I was majorly bummed.

The suit from Blue Seventy didn't ship when they said it would ship and I got it three days before the race.  The Blue Seventy rep talked me into getting a better quality wetsuit and I'm glad I did.  The fabric was easier to move in and there was a special fabric under the arms that was designed to help you feel the water.  I'm glad I spent the extra money.

I think trying on wetsuits could be counted as a workout.  I was exhausted after trying on each wetsuit multiple times.  But, after I put it on a few times, it was easy.  Here are my tips:




PART ONE
1.  Turn the wetsuit completely inside out.
2.  Insert the lower arms inside the upper arms (to the elbow)
3.  Insert the lower legs into the upper legs (to the knee) 
4.  Put the wetsuit on the ground in front of you with the zipper side facing down.

PART TWO
5.  Put plastic bags on both feet and insert them into the legs.
6.  Grab the legs (which will be the inside of the fabric) and pull them on to the knees.
7.  Then, just peel the suit the rest of the way up your body.  You can pull on the fabric because you are pulling on the inside.
8.  Stop when the wetsuit is at your waist.

PART THREE:
9.  Take the bags off your feet and put them on your hands.
10.  Insert your hands into the arms and push until your hands pop out.
11.  Then, just peel the suit the rest of the way up your arms and over your shoulders (may take a little shrugging).

PART FOUR:  
12.  Have someone reach into the wetsuit at the bottom of the zipper, grab the inside of the fabric, and firmly pull up as if to give you a weggie.
13.  Have someone reach into the shoulders from behind and lift the fabric up and toward the front (to take pressure off the front of your neck).
14.  Pinch the outside of the fabric wherever adjustment is needed and move the fabric into the desired position.  Only move fabric about one inched at a time.  
15.  Swing your arms to make the final adjustment.


No comments:

Post a Comment