Saturday, July 9, 2016

Lost in the Finish Chute!!! USAT Regional Championship

My coach said USAT Mideast Regional in Muncie, Indiana was my best race yet.  I won my age group, but I've been looking more at where I place overall lately.  Overall for the females, I was 1st on bike, 3rd in swim, and in the middle of the pack for the run (big improvement).  I did a new PR on the bike for a tri in both speed (21.0 on my Garmin) and watts (179).  So it was a good day.

Lost in the finish chute!
My race plan for this triathlon called for me to push myself harder in the run than I ever have in the past.  My heart rate was in high z4 for the entire 5k.  The run was total rolling hills with a 6% climb at the end.  For the last half mile, I was in z5.  I was just exhausted. 

The finish chute was long and ran through a park.  It was outlined by yellow tape on both sides.  At one of the corners, there was an opening in the tape and I ran through that opening without knowing it.  I was following the yellow tape on my right, not realizing it should be on my left and that I was no longer between the two yellow tapes.

Somehow, I did not see the big finish arch to my right and I ran right past it.  All of a sudden, I was running in the middle of a playground with nothing around me that even remotely looked like anything to do with a race.  It was like twilight zone!  

I knew there should be a finish line somewhere but I couldn't find it.  There were also no spectators.  I was totally disoriented.  I was utterly exhausted and had been willing my body to please just make it to the finish line.  I was SO ready to collapse over that line, but I couldn't find it!  It was a total nightmare.  

In the video that Brian took, you can hear people yelling at me but I was oblivious to it all.  You can also hear me crying out as I was running.  I sound pitiful (embarrassing).  I have never hurt so bad.  I was so ready for the race to be over.  But I had no idea where I was.  Nightmare.
Finally, I heard a man scream, "YOU'RE OFF COURSE."  I turned around and looked back to my right and saw the arch and then started running toward it.  Then everyone started yelling, "No! No! No!" and I was confused again and was just running without knowing what direction I should be running in.  I was ready to collapse but my legs knew I needed to get to that finish line first.

A man grabbed my arm to guide me, but I was afraid that would be considered assistance and so I said, "You can't touch me!" and shrugged him off.  Then he said, "Follow me," turned around, and started running back the way I had just come from!  I had no idea where he was going.  I was afraid that they might say he was pacing me but I had no choice but to follow him because I had no idea what was happening.
Finally, after running back up the route for quite a while, he pulled up the yellow ribbon and I ducked under and saw the timing mat.  I ran down the finish chute with everything I had.  I literally started collapsing on the last few steps but I made it over and two nice men caught me by the armpits.  The medical van was still at the swim so there was no medical support.  I was totally out of it.  I do remember the men arguing about whether or not they should make me sit down.  They finally decided they should walk me and did so for a long time.  I recovered, of course.

So close to podiuming!
According to the video that Brian took and my Garmin, it took me 40 seconds to get back on course.  I missed OVERALL third female by 23 seconds.  I can't begin to tell you how bad that feels.  This was not a large race but with it being USAT Regionals, there were some very good athletes there.  I'm really proud that I had the speed to be third overall woman - even if I didn't podium.

No comments:

Post a Comment