Monday, January 25, 2016

"Inspirational" Speaker? Capra Donna Women's Tri Club

23 women at Grey Goat Sports Woman's Triathlon Club.
 Quick link to first blog:  In the Beginning . . .

This weekend, I did my first "inspirational" talk.  My coach was asked to speak at the inaugural meeting of the Capra Donna Woman's Triathlon Club at Grey Goat Sports in Franklin, Indiana which was being organized by one of his former athletes.  He asked me to speak also.  I knew he was inviting me because at 335 pounds, I was an unlikely person to complete a triathlonI figured I'd be talking about how one begins triathlons - tri gear, beginner-friendly races, etc.  But when the agenda came out, I was listed separately on the agenda as, "Sue Reynolds, Inspirational Speaker." 

What?!!!  When I saw those words, "inspirational speaker," I freaked out.  I don't really view myself as inspirational.  Really, the opposite sometimes.  After all, before you can lose 200 pounds, you have to gain 200 pounds.  Before you can get off a couch, you have to be on the couch.  People have told me that I'm inspirational.  But I think I'm just doing what most people do every day.  If I hadn't been so overweight, nothing that I've done would be notable.

In my job as an educational consultant, I do a lot of public speakingBut the purpose of my presentations has always been to teach, not to inspire.  People tell me that my talks are inspiring, but I'm not the inspiration.  It's really educators' love for kids that inspires them.  I just help them remember why they became educators to begin with (wanting to help kids), and then let it move them to action.  I wasn't really sure how to do that with triathlon.

Everyone told me to just tell my story.  I decided to do that mainly through pictures and as I was looking through photos from my early years of triathlon, I started focusing on the three things that were the hardest to deal with when I started:  1) pride, 2) fear, and 3) not knowing how to approach pain (should I rush to the emergency room every time a joint creaked?).  

As I looked at those photos, I started laughing at myself a lot.  In the transition between the swim and bike, I was sitting on the ground, wearing a t-shirt and capri shorts, putting on my socks and shoes.  I had already brushed my hair and pulled it back into a dry hair band!  A cooler was sitting next to me where the snack I was about to eat was waiting. I hadn't even started the bike and a man was running by as he started his run.  LOL.  Another photo from the same race showed a large crowd of spectators at the finish line eagerly waiting to cheer on their loved ones.  The next photo shows me coming in last with 2:20 on the clock and virtually no one around.  Ha.

  












I started to realized that I might be able to help people see that doing it "right" isn't important.  The important part is just doing it.  Maybe I could help people realize that triathlon doesn't have to be about going fast.  The race plan for your first triathlon can easily be a lazy dog paddle or breaststroke, followed by a leisurely bike, followed by a walk or slow  jog.  Triathlon can be about racing.  But for most, it's just a way to get outside and have some fun - at whatever pace feels comfortable.

I showed a photo of a swim with kayaks every 10 feet and swimmers doing breaststroke, sidestroke, backstroke.  I wanted people to see how safe the swim was.  I showed a photo of me in a bathing suit entering the water with all of my jiggly parts jiggling.  That was a big test for my "go away pride" commitment. 


 





I opened by summarizing last year's season:  11th at USAT Nationals, 2nd at the the Worlds Qualifier in Clermont, ranked first in Indiana.  Then I showed a photo of me three years ago when I weighed 335 pounds.  Shock.  I was a BIG girl to say the least.  I talked about what inspired me to begin losing weight (not being able to put on my own shoes), how I learned to deal with pride and fear, how I transition from an exerciser, to a recreational triathlete, to a competitive triathlete  - and how the competitive "beast" that I discovered inside me scared me at first.  I talked about how it's ok to specialize in sprint triathlon rather than do longer distances and it's very ok to go slow.

"I'll protect you from the alligators!"

Since this was also a spiritual journey for me, I wanted to share a bit of that too.  I'm still quiet about my spirituality.  It is just so deeply personal and talking about it seems to trivialize it in some way.  I also don't like to push things on people.  I like to be invitational.  And . . . I was asked to talk about triathlons, not spirituality.  

The spirituality part just happened naturally.  I was explaining about the amazingly kind and supportive culture that surrounds triathlon and I encouraged everyone to look for kindness as they progress on their journey.  I told a couple of stories about the amazingly kind people who have helped me in my journey, and I explained that I came to understand that the kindness that I was witnessing was the face of God.  That's all I said.  It was very comfortable.

I also talked about being grateful and shared how I write names on my hand prior to every race to remember the people whose support makes it possible for me to participate in triathlon and whose inspiration makes it possible for me to keep going when the going gets tough.  I think triathlon has a way of making one both humble and grateful.

There were about 7 women in the group who had already completed a triathlon.  As I talked, it was so cool to see them nodding their heads.  I think they were remembering their own journeys, and how they conquered their personal pride and the fear that may have been getting in the way.  And I suspect they were also remembering the amazing feeling of accomplishment as they crossed the finish line for the first time.  There is nothing like the intense feeling of satisfaction that comes with knowing that you accomplished something because you were able to conquer your pride and fear.

I could sense that others were timid but interested.  They were listening so hard.  I wanted to say, "Jump!  You can do it!"  One thing I wish I would have done is ask those who were interested to decide what their first step would be and then share that with another person.  The first step is the hardest.  But, after the meeting, some of the women started to do that on the group's Facebook page.  Cool.  Nothing like publicly stating a goal to keep you accountable.  :-)  I do that all the time to make sure that I get things done!   

Several of the speakers that followed me referenced comments that I had made.  The thing that people seemed to pick up on the most was, "Go away pride."  I started using that slogan when I first began triathlon and continue to use when my pride interferes with me doing things I would like to do - in all parts of my life.  It was kind of nice to see how we all struggle with that.  I am not alone.  After the event, the group's convener shared how she overcame pride to get started on her Ironman journey.  Very, very cool!
Sue had a great speaking point about letting go of pride in triathlon (and life in general). We have to first acknowledge that we have it and then let it go. Once we make that huge step the possibilities are endless! Sue spoke about how she CRAWLED from station to station in her group fitness class. For me, I took swim lessons with Haylei at Greenwood Gators Swim Lessons beside the kids with parents watching. We have to know our goals and let go of pride to move toward them. Whatever your goal, whether it is a weight loss goal, doing a 5k, doing a sprint triathlon, doing an IRONMAN, or just feeling better about yourself, don't let YOU be the thing holding yourself back.

When the meeting closed, several women came up to talk.  That was the coolest part.  I loved hearing about the things they identified as getting in their way.  I know their triathlon journey will change them on the inside as they tackle their challenges - pride, fear, anger, confusion, lack of time, lack of funding for equipment.  I think once you know what's getting in the way, it's so much easier to take the next step.

On the way home, I talked to my son who is studying to be a pastor.  Without me telling him much about the day, he got kind of excited and said I should use my triathlon story to help women have the courage to start their own journeys.  He mentioned that we all have journeys that need to be started - in sports, in relationships, at work.  I don't know what God has in mind for me, but it would bring me great joy if this was part of His plan.

Much respect for Rebecca Dobbins for convening the Capra Donna Woman's Tri Club and for Grey Goat Sports for sponsoring the club.  Tremendous respect for the 23 women who spent a Saturday afternoon exploring their own journeys and helping others start theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment