Thursday, November 5, 2015

Swimming with Alligators!

Swimming with Alligators 
November 5, 2015

I swam with alligators!!  Well, I didn't actually see them, but I know they were there!

Brian and I came to Lake Louisa a few days prior to the USAT 2015 World Championship Qualifier for the ITU Draft Legal Sprint Triathlon in Mexico.  We drove for two days straight to Lake Louisa in Clermont so I could do a swim prior to checking into our hotel.

When we got to the beach, it was totally isolated.  No lifeguard.  No sunbathers.  No kids laughing and playing in the sand.  No boats.  Just me, 3,634 acres of water, and the alligators who I just knew were hiding in the tall grass that was about 25 meters from the shore and through which I would have to swim.  How in the world was I going to do this swim?  If I were attacked, who would help me?  Brian is a non-swimmer.  

I was surprised that the little bathhouse was unlocked and I went in to put on my swim gear, but I knew in my heart that I didn't have the courage to enter the water.  And I knew that Brian, ever cautious, would tell me not to get in the water.  He would tell me that there are appropriate times to take risks and swimming with alligators was not one of those times.

When I came out of the bathhouse, there was a boat on the beach.  I have no idea were that boat came from.  I'm not saying that it appeared miraculously, although it seemed like that at the time.  I saw a woman and asked her if there were alligators in the water.  She said she was afraid of alligators too but added that her husband was on the boat.  He was a "Florida Cracker" and assured her that alligators would not bother her.

I went down to talk to the gentleman.  He assured me as a Floridian, that alligators would not be a problem.  What happened next just astounded me.  He offered to do whatever I wanted him to do to make me feel comfortable about doing my swim.  First, he offered to drive his boat next to me as I swam.  And then he offered to go out in the water with me.  I explained to him that I would be swimming for a while.  He indicated that was ok.  Normally, I would not let someone put themselves out for me to that extend.  But to my amazement, I accepted his offer.

Since I had just gotten out of the car after a six hour drive, I had to do a little prep prior to getting in the water.  The gentleman and his wife waited with great patience and kindness as I did a dynamic warm-up (both legs and arms) and then put on my wet suit.  When I was ready to swim, he walked out in the water in front of me.  He led me all the way to the spot where the grass was growing through the water and stood there protecting me from alligators while I did my entire swim workout beyond the grass.  When I finished, he walked with me back to the beach.

Their names are Susan and Greg and they are among the kindest people on earth.

The Face of God:   Once again, I have been blessed with just what I needed when I needed it.  

I learned a little about Susan that touched me.  She also had a weight issue.  When describing her life prior to her weight loss, she said that she wasn't a Christian then, but she is now.  Another little gift - a person showing me how easy it is to talk about Christianity.  She was testifying in such an easy, nonchalant manner.  As I shared a bit about my spiritual journey, I felt flooded with kindness.  I am sure that Greg and Susan were brought to me by a loving God.  Simply amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment