Sunday, March 1, 2015

Anna Banana from Indiana - Another Angel in Disquise



Anna Banana from Indiana - Another Angel in Disguise!
March 1, 2015

Before entering a report for the Indiana University Indoor Triathlon, I need to write about Anna Banana from Indiana.  If you read my posts from my first-ever triathlon (Indiana University Indoor Sprint Triathlon) in 2013, you learned about the sweetest college sophomore who time me and cheered as I came down the straight on every single one of the 24 laps around the indoor track.  She was amazingly encouraging.  I was SO tired and she filled me with energy.


Last year, she was timing again, now a junior, and made a point to say something to me - also encouraging.  We chatted a bit and she said she was thinking about maybe entering the race in 2015.

This year, as I was getting into my swimsuit in the locker room, a young woman entered the pod of lockers across from mine.  She had raced in a very early heat (eight racers started every 30 minutes) and had just finished.  I asked her if the track, which is on the top floor of the sports complex, was hot.  She said no and then asked, "Have you done this before?"  When I responded yes, she said, "I know you!"  I'm the person who timed you two years ago!


It was HER.


How strange that our paths crossed again in such a random and chance way.  Another in the series of chance encounters with people who have floated into my life during the past three years at just the right moment to inspire and encourage me.  And once again, she had wonderfully encouraging things to say about my weight-loss and accomplishments.  Her parents raised an angel.  


This remarkable young woman is a senior this year and will be looking for employment in the Chicago area.  Whoever hires her will be getting a gem.  I will greatly miss seeing her at next year's Indoor Tri.  I told her that I will always think of her when I compete in that race.  As we were parting, I think she realized that we didn't even know each other's name.  She asked mine and then told me that her name was Anna.  She added with a laugh, "People call me Anna Banana from Indiana."


Thank you Anna Banana from Indiana.  You made a difference in my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment