Sunday, September 8, 2013

AMAZING Finish Line Welcome! Decatur County YMCA Triathlon - Sept 8, 2013


September 7, 2013
Decatur County YMCA Sprint Triathlon

I will never forget this day.  It was amazingly wonderful.

This was my first race on roads that were not closed to the public.  Since I've never ridden my bike on a road with cars, I was very, very nervous.  All week, I thought about dropping out.  I had asked lots of people about how to be on the road with cars and got different responses.  Some said to stay to the right.  Others said to stay in the middle of the lane so cars going the same direction wouldn't try to squeeze between you and an approaching car.  I went to our local bike shop and purchased two bright blinking lights - one to put on the back of my belt and the other to put below my bike saddle.  My brother, who does ironmans, told me that the race organizers were always very careful not to put racers in harm's way.  What kept me going the most was that I didn't want to tell the other Go Girls that I had chickened out.  But . . . I wasn't sure that staying in the race was a smart decision.

My husband and I drove to the race the day before.  We went straight to the race site to pick up my race packet (which the race organizer had filled with LOTS of goodies - fun!).  I talked with the race organizers about my fear of cars on the course and they were extremely calming.  That helped, but I still wasn't sure if I were going to race.


After picking up the race packet, we drove the bike course.  OH MY GOSH!  It was one BIG hill after another.  Absolutely no flats!  I asked my husband, "Do you think I should do this?" 
All he said was, "Those hills are pretty intense."  Not exactly the vote of confidence I expected to hear from a husband who is always positive and encouraging!

I went to the race the next day still not sure if I would compete.  I spent a long time talking to the race official.  I asked if I could walk up the hills.  Yes.  I asked if I got in over my head, if I could just turn around and come back to the start.  Yes.  With that in mind, I decided to race.

In the swim, I decided to start closer to the front so I wouldn't have to swim around people.  There was a long run down a clean, sandy beach and then for about 70 feet in shallow water.  I kept imagine what my jiggly parts must look like as I lifted my legs to run through the water.  Probably not a pretty picture! 
As soon as I started swimming, I learned what it was like to be in front of swimmers who are faster than you!  People were swimming over the top of me!  On the plus side, I swam the fastest that I've ever swam.  The lake, by the way, was beautiful!

I was terrified as we started the bike, but once I started riding, I was so focused on the race, that I didn't think about cars any more.  The hills ended up being enjoyable.  I found that if I rode fast down the hill, I could cost about two thirds up the next hill.  That meant that I would work going down the hills and then rest going up the hills (until the very top).  I greatly enjoyed the ride.  The grassy hills were beautiful and everything out in the country was so quiet. 

Of course, my downfall was the run.  I was in front of about six people at the start of the run, but one by one, they passed me.  On the way back (out-and-back course), I noticed that all of the volunteers at the corners were packing to leave as I passed by!  At one point, a volunteer in a golf cart started following me.  That really took my attention off my race (making it harder to keep my cadence).  At one of the corners, the volunteer said that I had picked up a tail.  I responded, "At least it's not an ambulance!"

Now for the part that I will never forget. 

As I rounded the last corner, I saw the finish line and could see that there were a ga-zillion people there cheering for me, the last place finisher!  There were probably only 15-20 people, but when you come in last there usually isn't anyone but the timer around so it seemed like the entire county had turned out to welcome me!  Wow.  Then . . . one of the fire trucks started its siren in greeting.  Then an emergency response vehicle joined in.  And then the police cars added their welcome.  Amazing.  Without thinking, I raised my arms in victory as I approached the finish line with everyone clapping.  I still get choked up as I think about how kind these people were to me. 

My husband filmed their wonderful welcome for the last place finisher.  Check it out!!


Last Place Welcome         http://youtu.be/Mge4SS8BroM

No comments:

Post a Comment