Friday, June 1, 2012

Swim!

Swim! 
June 2012



I was a competitive age group swimmer growing up.  I did pretty well - age group state champ and set two state records.  At the time (before Title 9), there were only two sport that girls could participate in:  tennis and swimming.  So for me, it was swimming.  But . . . at age almost-60, I had not swum laps for 40 years!

I was scared to death to start swimming.  For the entire first summer, I wore a bathing suit with a long skirt attached!  The first time in the pool was terrifying.  I made sure my emergency information was in my swim bag just in case.  I walked down the stairs into the pool and kicked a very slow lap with a kick board.  Then another lap.  Then I did a lap of breaststroke, and then 1/4 of a lap of freestyle.  I think I did 5 laps total that day and felt extremely satisfied.  Then, I felt faint.  

Passing out in the pool was not something that I wanted to do so I got out.  I walked to the bath house, stopped to steady myself as things started getting dark, walked into the dressing room and sat on the bench with everything getting fuzzy.  I debated whether or not I should tell someone that I might pass out.  I imagined the young people who worked there would call an ambulance which would have embarrassed the heck out of me.  So I just sat there and eventually, everything became normal.  I slowly drove home, ready to pull off the road if things got fuzzy again. 

I'm not sure why I came back a few days later.  I think it was because I just love swimming.  I love the way the water supports you.  I love hearing children playing and shouting.  I love feeling my muscles.  I think in a past life, I must have been a seal or a dolphin.  I just love the water.  I was very cautious on my second attempt at laps and everything was fine.  So . . . I kept coming back day after day, week after week.  By the end of the first summer, I could swim a mile without stopping.  At first I used hand turns and then flip turns.  I was incredibly slow (3:05 for 100 meter freestyle), but I didn't care.  I was swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment