Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Part 1 & 2 - Weight Watchers + Couch to 5K


My journey has been in several parts.

PART ONE: 
January 2010 - July 2011
Weight Watchers and Couch to 5K

Part One of my journey is represented by the downward slope of my weight from January 2010 to July 2011.  At this time, I was using Weight Watchers (WW) and Couch to 5K.

Weight Watchers:
Pros:  It was good to be able to record everything I ate as I ate it.  I also love to follow my progress (or lack of progress!) on their the WW charts. While I don't use WW anymore, I still subscribe to WW and log my weight every week.
Cons:  While WW helps you with limiting how you eat, I didn't find that it helped me figure out what to eat or when to eat.  With WW, I could eat only chocolate cake and as long as I limited how much I ate, the points would be ok. At least, that was the way it was when I started this journey.  I think WW has changed it's program since then to focus more on healthy nutrition.

Couch to 5K:
Pros:  What a wonderful program!  I went from not being able to walk more than a 1/2 block to running two miles (without walking) with C5K.  I loved that that I could succeed at each week - even week one.  I remember there being one week (week 5?) that seemed like a big increase in running, but I made it!  I did 8 of the 9 weeks of C5K.  In the eighth week, I was doing the program with ease but only running about two miles.  My Couch to 5K was going to end up being a Couch to 2.1 K!  So, I decided to run faster.  Big mistake.  Trying to run faster changed my form and I ended up hurting something in my hip.  Xrays showed nothing major but doctor said not to run until I lost more weight.  Bummer.
Cons:  I can't think of one con.  Just don't try to run fast!

PART TWO: 
July 2011 - April 2012
Falling off the bandwagon.

Part Two of my journey is represented by the upward slope of my weight between July 2011 and April 2012.  During this time, I was not only not running, but with stress at work had adopted a "screw it" attitude about eating.  I would leave work, go to the bakery and buy a dozen cookies, and then eat every one of them - day after day after day.  Not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment